Thursday, July 22, 2010

Buon Appetito

Ever so often I find myself in the middle of a beautiful moment. It's usually an unexpected happenstance--something I stumble upon. I suddenly find myself in a situation so perfect, so inspiring, and so all-my-own, that I'm forced to pause and acknowledge the moment. Ironically, to the outsider these times probably appear rather mundane and less than noteworthy. But to me, they are like little glimpses of heaven.

My most recent "heaven glimpse" happened just a few nights ago. I had just finished a long day of teaching lessons, after an intense few days of relentless, mind-jarring, tiresome stressful soul-searching. I had a lot on my mind that night for sure. I was suppose to run home for dinner and head out to a meeting. Instead, on a whim, I decided to drive over to a little corner cafe up the road. I had just recently begun reading a rather good book and thought it'd be nice to have some relaxing down-time.

Well, of course, as soon as I walked into the cafe, I smelled their yummy food and decided I'd treat myself to some dinner (you know, since I was already there and all). I chose a cozy corner table in the back, opened my book, and quickly got lost in the pages until the waitress came with my Chicken Carbonara (the book I was reading was set in Italy so it seemed like a fitting dinner choice. Plus, any excuse for eating Italian will do).

I read and read, as I ate and ate. Hours went by...uninterrupted... peaceful...sweet...Perfect!
I'm not sure how the components of the night worked so well together to create such a special moment, but here are the things I loved about it.

1) Great food--spiral pasta, perfectly cooked, cheesy, creamy, alfredo-y! Bacon, peas, bread crumbs...yum!

2) Great book--I couldn't tear through the pages fast enough! Any book about Italy enthralls me, but this particular book made me dream and hope and practically turn inside-out with longing to go there. On top of that, almost every page had some quote or memento that made me feel like the author had researched inside my soul to get her material. It was inspiring in all the ways I needed at just the right time.

3) Great company--(not to confuse you... I know that I originally said I was alone and I was). There are just so many things to be said about the merits of spending time alone. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that people who cannot find a way to enjoy being alone are truly missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures. When I'm alone is when I dream the biggest, feel things the strongest, and think the clearest. It's pure and unapologetic. Real and genuine. Honest and raw. No pretense. No expectations. No guilt.

So I found myself in the middle of that moment, stuffing my hungry tummy with that amazing pasta, reading that incredible book, enjoying the comfortable alone-ness, and I just had to stop and be thankful--Thankful for the simple pleasures of life. Thankful for the freeing feeling of acting on a whim. Thankful for the opportunity to be totally and completely comfortable, confident and happy. It was pure joy!

I never know when my next "Heaven glimpse" will come, but until it does, I'll ride on the rush of the memories of this one, and keep smiling to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment