Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Happy Hiker

People have asked me, "What's so special about a walk in the woods?"
I'll answer, and as I do, I'll share a very precious part of my heart...

I go to the woods--my feet itching to walk. As I make my way to the trail, I can almost hear the wind calling to me as it rustles through the tops of the trees. I shoulder my backpack (my most faithful hiking companion), and off I go.

I struggle deciding which path to take (so much about hiking is symbolic of my life). Each trail has it's own offerings, and I love them all. The decision always comes down to what sort of adventure I want that day. Every trail has it's own personality...I've thought about naming them, but when I mentioned the idea to some friends, they looked at me like I was weird.

I breathe deeply. When I'm in the woods, I believe each breathe I take makes me healthier, stronger, and more alive. I ramble up and down the sloping mountains. It reminds me of home...then I miss my family. I say a prayer for them and continue on.

I walk along the creek listening to its' music. It's always playing my favorite song. I hear the birds talking in the trees. Sometimes I think they're cheering me on. Sometimes brave squirrels share the path. I like their company. On special days, I'll see a deer. They startle me, as I'm sure I startle them. We stare at each other and then respectfully continue on our way.

I talk to God-to myself-to the trees. It's the safest place to pour my heart out. The woods never judge. They never condemn. They're gracious, forgiving and honest.

I find comfort and safety knowing that there is little more to do than simply trudge on. The path lies before me--long and winding, hugged on either side by the most perfect greenery. What's around the next bend? I've GOT to know.

Time passes too fast in my woods and before I know it I'm almost back at the car. As I walk out of the woods and into the sunlight, I whisper, "Goodbye woods. I'll be back soon." And I pretend they answer, "We know."

No comments:

Post a Comment